Sunday, May 29, 2011

A little people watching...

Last night, I had the chance to people watch.  I mean really watch rather than listen.  I was tucked comfortably in the corner, still feeling the refreshing night air from the open windows. The noise level was not deafening.....more like loud enough to obscure most actual words throughout the room, but not hurtful to my ears. 

Some folks looked like first or fairly new dates; some were clearly reunions (I am sandwiched by the property of two universities, and commencement was a few days ago....); some groups, some one-on-one.

Many conversations (mind you, I mostly cannot hear what is being said) appeared to be a series of monologues. Lack of eye contact by the speaker or listener, "unlistening" body language.... I did see a few people who looked at each other during the mutual exchanges, and from across the room looked in tune.....both present.  Not all of these were romantic seeming pairings, just two people present and connecting......occasionally laughing. The laugh of recognition and appreciation, rather than a mocking laugh after sharing some gossip and putting someone down.

It filled my heart to see that the art of conversation and connection is still practiced...makes me hopeful that finding more such people to populate my world is still possible.

I enjoy and require a fair amount of untethered solo time. I also enjoy and require (as really we all do as humans!) connection.  I cannot practice conversation and connection in a vacuum. I need other people who want to play too!!

Wishing you all at least one really connected relationship, and that you get quality time with that person as regularly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment